Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Coup D'état - Days 3, 4 & 5

Thankfully I'm better at keeping a workout routine than a blog...which is odd, as the computer desk is my natural habitat.

I had a tremendous weekend. On Saturday I worked my arms, shoulders and chest. I really enjoyed the workout, but I am in dire need of new dedicated weight dumbbells, as my heart rate drops significantly as I try to change the weights on my current bars.

Let's talk about yoga.

The p90x version of yoga is far more taxing than I ever expected of yoga. Bear in mind, I never held the belief that yoga was easy, rather, I thought it was more of a static, balance / core strength routine.

The first forty-five minutes of this routine were the hardest forty-five minutes I have ever lived...physically, that is. I cannot remember one moment of rest (other than the moments (and there were many) in which I collapsed and rolled on my well-padded back like an overturned turtle, struggling against gravity and bad design).

My wife joined me in this workout, and even she (who is very fit (and gorgeous (and awesome (and hot (and smart (and all around incredible (ad inf.))))))(count the end parentheses, I think this was successful!)) had a significant amount of difficulty completing the routine (did you forget what the sentence was about?).

I have the attention span of a goat. Sorry.

By the by, Matt (that's me!) in a Crane Pose looks like a spilled bucket of Crisco trembling on a vibrating bed at a cheap motel somewhere in Arkansas. Give me a quarter, I'll give you a show.

I dare you.

The line of the day (and I think my new mantra) came after the first forty-five minutes of the video passed (yes, it was an hour and a half of yoga). Standing erect and calmly in a Namaste pose, the workout leader says "Now take a deep breath and think: You just did that!".

And honestly, it felt great.

There were so many moments where I really wanted to quit. I couldn't hold this pose or that pose. I could no longer maintain this extended push-up. I could no longer touch my heel to my lower intestine. But I just did. You would be proud of the amount of sweat that my body spat into the living room (no one will ever want to visit my house again!). I must've dropped 3 pounds in that workout alone. Wow.

Anything we do is done. Anything we're doing will be done. It's not about saying "I can do this", but about believing that there will be a moment where you, wearing your blood, sweat and tears like a Christmas sweater, will say "I just did that".

In the last four (yes four) days, I have lost 10 pounds. That's insane.

And you know what?

There will be a day when my scale will publish my weight at 185 and I will look into the mirror and see my body (that is, the thing currently buried beneath the ruins of fat tissue) and say: "I just did that".

And then I will go get a beer.

mdm

1 comment:

  1. This blog is getting better and better, Matt. Keep up the good work in both spheres.

    I loved the parenthetical parentheses.

    By the way, you should set up a "Donate" button on your blog's sidebar so that people can send you $.25. (Just kidding.)

    ReplyDelete